On this page you can find practical information about Bochum: accomodation, public transport and the venue of the workshop.
The workshop will be held in the Beckmanns Hof, a traditional German farm that was recently renovated, and is located on the university campus. (Warning: there is also a hotel in Bochum called Beckmannshof which is different from our Beckmanns Hof!)
Beckmanns Hof is at 51°26'31.1"N 7°15'51.6"E. If you are staying downtown or at LSI Bochum, you might want to go first to the U35 station and from there walk across the campus. Please download our cheat sheets for walking from LSI Bochum to the U35 station and back, for getting from the U35 underground station to the venue Beckmanns Hof, and for going out in Bochum. For getting from LSI to Beckmanns Hof just compose the first and the second map. There is also a bus connection between the LSI and the U35 stop (bus lines 372 or 356, bus stops are called "Ruhr-Universität" and "Auf der Papenburg"), but it is within walking distance.
We have reserved some rooms in conveniently located hotels:
- LSI Bochum (25mins walk to venue of the workshop), 50.00 EUR per single room / per night including breakfast, room category III (reservation code: Crptool, expires 18.Sep). Booking is in German only, please follow our English instructions here.
- IBIS Hotel Bochum (downtown, close to station, take the U35 to get to the venue), don't confuse with the ibis Styles Bochum Hauptbahnhof 63.50 EUR per single room / per night (reservation code: RUB Kryptologie, expires 9.Sep)
- Wald & Golfhotel Lottental (very nice atmosphere, 10-15min walk to Beckmanns Hof, ideal if you only stay until Thursday) 69.00 EUR per single room / per night (reservation code: cryptool, expires 9.Sep), only for stay 07.10.-8.10. as it is booked out from 8.10.)
For speakers: we will take care of booking a hotel for you.
The campus of Ruhr University Bochum can easily be reached via metro U35 from Bochum main train station (Hbf). The stop is called Ruhr-Universität , the correct direction is Bochum Hustadt. For more information please check the Bogestra website.
Bochum is easily accessible by direct train from Düsseldorf or Dortmund airport. It is also approximately 2h train from Frankfurt airport.
German transport services (train, bus, boat) are very reliable and well connected. Visit Deutsche Bahn website for more information on this (you can directly put "Ruhr-Universität, Bochum" as a destination). If you arrive by plane to Düsseldorf airport, the best way to get to Bochum main station (Bochum Hauptbahnhof) is a regional train. First, take the free sky train to Düsseldorf airport train station (final stop). There you can buy a ticket at the counter or use one of the ticket machines. The regional trains are RE (faster, every 30 minutes) or S-Bahn (slower, every 20 minutes).
Restaurants in Bochum
Close to Campus
- Le Clochard
Buscheyplatz 2, 44801 Bochum
- Lucy's Café(Vegetarian, only until 20h)
Center of Bochum
- Pizzeria Amalfi (Good pizzeria, not expensive)
Gerberstr. 2, 44787 Bochum
- Wok and Roll (Stupid name but good and cheap Vietnamese food)
Kortumstraße 36, 44787
- Karawane Bochum (Arabic specialities.)
Grosse Bectrasse, 27
- Badalona Bar (Tapas bar, original from Barcelona.)
- Blondies (Alternative Burger Place)
Kortumstr 140, 44787 Bochum
- Taj Mahal (Good indian restaurant)
Kortumstr. 9 (Bermudadreieck)
- Mutter Wittig (mid-ranged, German food)
- Aubergine Bochum (Mid-ranged, Mediterranean/German)